Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Mayhem

Easy title? Ya, I thought so too.

Easy title with a difficult task. Saw that coming? Ya  me too.

I dislike goals. I dislike goals strongly. I never want to write just to write because of a daily goal. Goal is way too close to ghoul. A ghoul is a monster. And I don’t want a ghoul on my back. See what I did there? Ya, it was clear as day.

I dislike goals but I love accountability.

I was chatting with a friend on gchat when she mentioned the word “mayhem”. I don’t even remember the context. Mayhem is a great word. And we are now in May. If I do the Sesame Street thing of putting all the letters together slowly and sound it out, I get May Mayhem.

What is May Mayhem? It’s something I came up with ten minutes ago.

For the month of May I am going to write every single day.

Don’t you write every single day? No, not even close. I wouldn’t say I wait for inspiration because even when inspiration comes I sometimes don’t write. For me, writing is something that happens when I’m ready.

When are you ready? I wish I could answer that.

And since I can’t answer the above I’ve decide to do my own NaNoWriMo and I don’t feel like waiting until November. In May I am going to write every day.

What’s your daily writing goal? No goal. The objective is to simply write. To put in a good faith effort every single day of May. I ain’t cheating no one but myself but not doing so.

Why are you putting this pressure on yourself? I don’t see it as pressure. I see it as a way to stay productive and challenged. Better than doing nothing.

So you do have a goal, it’s to write every day correct? Please with the g word. I don’t like that particular pressure and therefore I am masking it with other words.

So you’re playing a semantics game? Please with the big words, stop.

If you’re aware you’re just fooling around with words then you are aware you are just lying to yourself. True.

Then why not just call it a goal? Because I do what I want! And it’s my blog. If you don’t like it, leave.

But I’m you. True.

May Mayhem – For the month of May I will put in a good faith effort to write something of substance (chapter, paragraph, story etc.) every single day. There is no daily writing goal per se. I will try and update my blog daily with the progress. Knowing me that is never going to happen. But at least I know myself well enough to say so upfront. J My blog will hold me accountable.

Blog posts won’t count towards the daily writing goal.

And shit, it’s May 1 and I haven’t written a word yet. Hearts!