Saturday, March 17, 2012

Strive

I get a lot of influence from movies. And lots of the movies that have influenced me have come from books. Since movies stick more in my mind because of repeated views, I refer to the cinematic medium more so than the printed word. These are the things I strive for when I write. The feelings I strive for etc.

What do I strive for?

I strive for the build up to Shug singing “God is trying to tell you something” to her father in the Color Purple. I strive for that payoff of him hugging her. Him realizing that perhaps god isn’t just trying to tell others something, but him something as well.

I strive for that moment when you realize that Madmartagan really is a badass. And I strive for the scene where Sorsha realizes she loves him.  

I strive for that feeling I get when I hear Han say, “I know.”

I strive for words that have stuck a chord inside me such as: “Time counts, and keeps counting.”

I strive to entertain others the way Forrest Gump entertains me. I strive for how Tom Hanks can make me cry everytime I hear him say: “And he so smart Jenny.”

I strive to create dialogue like the dialogue in Steel Magnolias. Clairee: And I can also report that a mysterious car is parked in her driveway at least once a week… Ouiser: There. My Secrets out. I’m having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!

I strive for three characters talking almost at once and creating brilliance that leads to: You can’t handle the truth.

I strive for “SORRY…my Prada’s at the cleaners! Along with my hoody and my ‘fuck you’ flip flops, you pretentious douchebag!”

I strive for almost all dialogue ever heard on the West Wing.

I strive to capture the feeling of being somewhere and also being somewhere else at the same time as I felt when I watched Lost in Translation.

I strive to capture banter like I loved in Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.

I strive to write words like those that flow so easily in Casablanca.

I strive for scenes that are impossible for the actor to get out of. Bruce in Pulp Fiction, The Bride in the coffin in Kill Bill 2 and The Bride in the House of Blue leaves in Kill Bill 1.

I strive for unattainable perfection.

I strive for mistakes that equal perfection.

I strive for that feeling I get when I walk into the Magic Kingdom.

I strive for the calm I feel as I walk around World Showcase.

I strive to dream as big as Walt Disney dreamed.

I strive for vision such as Disney’s.

I strive for more. Always more. I strive to not forget the bad but remember it to give me fuel to move forward and beyond.

I strive for freedom from others.

I strive to believe that anything is possible.

I strive to write characters such as the ones that I fell in love with on The Wire like as Stringer Bell.  

I strive for a scene such as when everyone starts repeating “I do believe in fairies, I do, I do.” in the 2003 Peter Pan.

I strive for the feeling you get when the announcer whispers, “Daniel Larusso’s gonna fight?” and then repeats it into the mike, “DANIEL LARUSSO’S GONNA FIGHT!”

I strive for the payoff of the relationship (between Mr. Miyagi and Daniel in Karate Kid part 3) when Daniel bows before really fighting Mike.

I strive for the magic of Harry Potter.

I strive to not sit still.

I strive for the layers I see on Mad Men.

I strive to never be content.

I strive to grow.

I strive for the epicness of Game of Thrones.

I strive to entertain.

I strive to be unique.

I strive to get better.

What do you strive for?